Monday 5 November 2007

Melt pot mayhem!!


I have finally got out my melt pot which I wanted to use for faux carnival glass on formica samples.I soon discovered they get very thick very quickly so in the end I only did the first initial dunk and then set to work with my heat gun.
I realised also that stamping into the hot UTEE wasn't my forte-I press too hard i thin and I gave up doing this.In the end I was just happy to add glitter mica powders and other bits and bobs.
The blue sample isn't made with film at all but with foil which Suze Weinberg demonstrated a while ago.The pink sample used opals ep glitter and micro beads.The greenish one is true faux carnival glass but without the stamping.Finally i had to do the backs without ruining the front and eventually made little mats of angelina fibres which I ironed onto the back with my craft iron.
Thanks to loads of people -Caz for the samples and everyone who advised on powders.in the end I used regular UTEE with flex in it not the opals stuff.

3 comments:

Chris in Oz said...

WOW, Pauline, these look fantastic. I really like the idea of the fibres on the back too. Might have to borrow that one!!! LOL!!! Hugz...

Autumn Labbe-Renault said...

I've got to try this technique--these are sooo pretty.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pauline, the samples look great. Worth the effort. I will definitely try to make one. I collect Carnival Glass items and if you like, you can check this link.